Linux memory management

I originally had 128MB on my "BruneWorld" machine.  The "free" command
told me that all but about 4MB of the real RAM was used up and the
swapfile size was about 50MB.

So... I bought another 128MB and installed it.

I expected "free" to always report that there is around 60MB RAM always
free; however, that's not been the case.  Instead, almost ALL of the real
RAM was slooooooowly confiscated and there is a 32KB (yup, that's "K")
swap thingy showing (via "free").

What's up with that?  Does Linux grab memory and just never give it back.
I've got the "free" command logging to a file and the "Mem:" usage NEVER
goes down.  Is this O/S greedy, or what?!

Probably not understanding it,
Chas