Re: first impressions of Red Hat 8.0

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 07:44:30PM -0500, frog@intertek.net wrote:
> Does the compiler issue affect my system

Probably not much.  The issue here is basically that C++ applications
compiled on Red Hat 8.0 are not likely to work with other Linux
distributions (including older versions of Red Hat).  The one
exception might be Mandrake 9.0, which I think also includes gcc 3.2.

As long as you have source for the application, you can just rebuild
it (which you'd probably want to do anyway if it was built for another
distribution).

If you build your own C++ programs, such as for CS classes or
something, they might not run without a recompile when you upgrade to
Red Hat 8.0 (or another distribution that uses gcc 3.2), but, again, a
recompile should take care of that.

Now I really have to figure out why apt still works.  It's killing
me...