Re: first impressions of Red Hat 8.0

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 09:24:38AM -0500, Erich Schroeder wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Steven Pritchard wrote:
>
> >     * rpm is totally, completely, and utterly broken.
> >
> >       OK, so that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I've definitely had
> >       problems with it.  Problems that were bad enough that I totally
> >       lost the rpm database once.  Just keep that in mind if you try
> >       it.  Don't add or remove a lot of packages until you see some
> >       updates, just to be safe.  (That, or at least make a backup of
> >       /var/lib/rpm before you make any such changes.)
>
> I also had this happen in the short test I had done. I ended just
> reinstalling 7.3 on that machine. My problems were coincident with trying
> to add something with apt, so I may have been the problem myself.

I don't think so...  It looks like apt works fine.  It just looks like
any major changes to the rpm database are likely to trigger whatever
bugs are there.

I'm told by a friend at Red Hat that there is a known bug with
locking, but that shouldn't be causing complete database corruption.
I tried to trigger it again with rpm running under strace or ltrace,
but that just made rpm hang.  :-/

I guess I should file a bug report anyway.  You might want to do the
same.

> I would also add that it upgrades apache to 2.0, and does not transfer the
> 1.3 configuration files.  This is a good thing, but be warned and do your
> web server upgrade during off hours (of course).

Good point.  I forgot about that one.  I also noticed that the package
name changed from "apache" to "httpd".  I couldn't figure this out at
first, but then I noticed that the name of the package has changed on
the Apache distribution site as well.