Re: install question on old PC

Hi Charlie,

On Friday, August 16, 2002, 1:35 PM, you rearranged your electrons about "install question on old PC":

BC> I run lots of stuff on a 486/33 with 32MB RAM and a 13 GB hard drive.

good deal

BC> I'm currently running Red Hat 7.3.  I've run every version since 5.0.
BC> I did *not* load any of the X Windows stuff.

BC> Also, my video card is so old that it won't run the GUI install, so I
BC> use the text-based install -- which, incidentally, runs just fine.
BC> (Does anyone feel sorry for me yet?)  8-)

I'll probably run into the same thing.

BC> On this machine, I run:    I get ALL of my mail through here. -- POP3
BC> So I can use Outlook (well, I used to before I discovered Evolution!)
BC> -- IMAP    For Evolution -- FTP

Yep, that's why I want to set it up.. so family can POP mail on our
domains..

BC> There's probably more, but you get the point.  If you're not running a
BC> GUI, you don't need much of a box to run Linux.

Perfect.

BC> Now... having said that, I did try "Squirrel Mail", which is a PHP
BC> implementation for web-based email.  It was HORRIBLE.  REEEEEEEEEALLY slow.  So,
BC> I guess I need a box that it a bit faster now.

I would suspect Courier IMAP would be slow too...

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a go...

Also Thanks to Bob and Casey for their input.. I appreciate it.

--

Best regards,
 Gary

Today's thought: Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...