Re: SSH preferences

I use rsa putting your public key in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys and ssh-agent.

-----Original Message-----
From: mike808 [mailto:mike808@users.sourceforge.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 1:24 AM
To: silug-discuss@silug.org
Subject: SSH preferences

What's the preferred approach from the heavy SSH users out there?

Put your public key in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys?
ssh-agent?
~/.shosts?
/etc/ssh/shosts.equiv?
passphrase-less private keys?

Lots of hard-to-remember quality passwords/passphrases is a real PITA.
Rotating them regularly is even moreso.

On a separate, but related topic....

Work, email, various shell accounts, servers, web accounts (vendors), online
banking, etc. I must have 20 or 30 by now. And I don't care for one to be
able to use the same password to gain access to my other accounts. Who knows
what some vendor will do (or happen) with my userid/password? Especially if
some don't use https or encryption for logins? I don't want my Sun support
account to be related in any way to my Java Certification account or to my
MandrakeClub account or to my Slashdot, NetFlix, Buy.com, newegg.com
accounts, etc., etc..

Every Tom, Dick, and Harry website I go to wants me to set up a "profile"
where maybe I get the same userid I use elsewhere (maybe not, it's a crap
shoot), and yet another password. Many have conflicting requirements - some
allow punctuation, others don't. Or they have varying minimum length
requirements. It's a CF'd system all around.

I see the appeal of the MS Passport system. What to do?

Mike808/
--
() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML email and Microsoft-specific
/\ attachments. If I wanted to read HTML, I would have visited your website!