Re: Linux Sysadmin/Certification Bootcamp VOLUNTEERS

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Mike808 wrote:

> Kara Pritchard wrote:
> > Well, that was what I was trying to imply by "laptop or system". You'll
> > need a monitor, etc for your system, and given the weight, corners, etc to
> > prevent damage to my oak table, I'd just ask that you bring something to
> > put under the equipment.
>
> Will do. I'm building three systems. 1) a firewall, 2) a desktop w/ WINE,
> and 3) my main desktop/server. Which do you think I should bring to the
> meeting to setup?
>
> 1) 40MB RAM, Pentium-120, 1.3GB HD, (2)8029 netcards (Steve), STB Horizon
>
> 2) 168MB RAM, K6/200, 3.2GB HD or 6.4GB HD, 10/100 Intel netcard, 56x CDROM,
>    Opti931 SB sound card, Matrox Mystique-220
>
> 3) 192MB RAM, Athlon-650, 100GB HD, 20GB HD, 8129 netcard, SBLive,
>    Pioneer DVD, Plextor 8/4/32 CDRW, Matrox G400TV
>
> And #3 is the one with the BIOS problems doing the 100GB drive.
>
> All the drives are in removable cages. I'm leaning towards #1 (the firewall),
> since I won't need X on it, and I'll get to play with iptables.

No, I wouldn't say #1, because if you're going to use it for all the
sessions, you're going to need X and such. Plus, realize I'm only alotting
30 mins for the install. Do you know how long an install would take on a
machine that slow? I'd probably go with #2.

Director of Exam Development            http://www.lpi.org/