Re: hmmmm....

The killer app in the k-8 schools in my area is Accelerated Reader.  A
school could justify a lab devoted to this one program IF it would run
under Linux.  I have tried it under wine and it doesn't quite work.  I
have heard indirectly that people have talked with the company: one said
that the developers had a Linux version that works well; another said
that the company said that the program will not work under Linux and has
no intentions of supporting linux.

Accelerated reader would be the perfect application for Linux terminal
server as the screens are simple and refreshed only after a student
answers a questoin (low bandwidth).  Most schools keep the test results
on a central server of some sort.

Alan

Tighe Schlottog wrote:

> Now, I was sitting here thinking again, I have been doing that alot lately
> and the pain seems to be only temporary from doing that.  ;)  But anyways,
> I was thinking that with the recent attempted fleecing of the schools up
> in Washington by M$ and with the "audits" run by the BSA, now might be a
> good time to start talking to the local schools about free software and
> the benefits that you can get from it.

The only problem would be those