Re: I got a big disk

> I can't get RH 7.3 or MDK 8.2 to load onto my new 100GB WD disk.
> I'm doing a clean system build, so there is no pre-existing system.
>
> I've got an Asus K7M mobo (a 2yo Athlon 650) with the lastest 1032b2 BIOS
> flashed. 1009 didn't even recognize the full drive size. At least now it
> sees 100.0GB.

did you dink around with those stupid WD tools that come with the disk?
might be of some use.

> Here's what WD says about the CHS layout:
>  C: 193821, H: 16, S: 63
>
> Here's what the BIOS reports on the screen:
>  C: 47885, H: 16, S: 255
>
> And, lastly, what Linux sees:
>  C: 12161, H: 255, S: 63

*blink*  *blink*  huh?  is this an ATA-133 drive?  what speed was your
former drive at?

> On both distros, I can partition it just fine. I can format the partitions.
> But, when it goes to install GRUB or LILO, both distros barf and the install
> dies there.

can you boot off of a boot disk and have it still work or does it barf on
that?

> I've tried using "hda=47885,16,255" on boot, and for the GRUB/LILO boot
> parameters. Still no dice. And Disk Druid still sees the 12161/255/63 setup,
> no matter what I put on the boot line.

disk druid is teh suq!  get fdisk and prolly the way of the Sith,
err...Jedi.  ;)  seriously though, i have had disk druid screw up things
before.  also you are trusting a program to do what you sayy, not what you
do.

> Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope...

I have defeated Obi-Wan, now my son, take your rightful place by my side!

> I'm ready to try SuSE - anyone think it will help?

SuSE is goooooooooood.

Tighe

--
Tighe		w00t		blumnky