window manager salad

I did an install for my parents of lycoris linux this last weekend (used
to be Redmond linux) and found out just how cool some of the features of
the new kde are, I use windowmaker and have been wonderfully happy with
it (I love to be able to configure my menu's using vi, and I hate start
buttons) but I was wondering, is kde a WM or is it a desktop, what I
mean is that I've been told that you can run gnome on top of
windowmaker, so can you run kde on top of windowmaker and just do away
with the start menu and "windows like" icons on the desktop that kde
always want to kreate, just curious, btw does anyone else have any cool
desktop config's, thanks

Bob T. Kat

 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more
expected..."