Problem untarring 2.4.18

Greetings again,

I just downloaded the 2.4.18 kernel from kernel.org as a tar.bz2 file.
I can do a bunzip2, and this works fine.  Now when I do a tar -xf to
what's left it will go a while then come back with a bunch of errors
like this:
tar: linux/Docuemntation/README.nsp_cs.ent: Cannot open: No such file or
directory
tar: linux/REPORTING-BUGS: Cannot open: No space left on device
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

Also in /var/log/messages I have this entry:
kernel: EXT3-fs error (device ide2(33,1)) in ext3_new_inode: error 28
last message repeated <tons of> times.

This box is running RedHat 7.1, with a 2.4.16 kernel that I compiled.  I
also upgraded the e2fsprogs programs at the same time.  The partition
that I was trying to extract this onto is on a 100GB WD HD on a Promise
IDE Controller.  I converted all the partitions on this box from ext2 to
ext3 right after 2.4.16 came out.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Jason