MySQL under heavy load

Has anyone here used MySQL under a heavy load?

I know the MySQL site claims that their db can handle a heavy load, but they
never say what a heavy load is.
I have a server that takes quite a beating, but it just up and dies. Sometimes
after 3 days of heavy use, sometimes 1-2 times a day. The error logs don't
help much, they give me the thread. But none of the queries that it claims
killed it are even remotely similar.

Running Redhat 7.2 I would get kernel panics that would lock up the whole
machine, couldn't even get a console on it.
Running FreeBSD 4.4 it would kernel panic & reboot the machine.

Anyone had any better experience using MySQL under a heavy load?

Notes:
DB was installed with rpm & compiled on RH
DB was installed with the binary files from the site & compiled on FreeBSD
All with the same results
We are looking into switching to Oracle9i for Linux, but the cost is a little
more than the bosses want to dish out.
Also tried PostgreSQL & it bowed out in under 3 hours and it was much slower

Box Details:
PIII 933 (Dell)
1.5 GB Ram
2 GB Swap Space
4 10,000 rpm SCSI Raid 5 (64 MB Cache on card)
Was running Redhat 7.2 (stock enterprise kernel)
Now running FreeBSD 4.4 (wanted a comparison of stability)

DB Statistics:
Tried MySQL 3.23.43 and MySQL 4.0.1-alpha (running 4 currently)
85 Databases (74 tables in each - avg of 25, 000 to 1.3 million rows of data
per db)
In 2.5 days it's taken 6.9 Million Questions (Queries) @ an avg of 125 queries
per second
52 Threads