Re: recompiling kernels in Red Hat 7.2

Sorry about how late the reply is, Evolution didn't like my SMTP setup.
Anyways, I went through with Nate's instructions on how to compile my
2.4.17 kernel.

make xconfig
Configure...
make dep
make bzImage

The only trouble that I ran into was that it didn't like the SiS code
for (E)IDE stuff, so I removed support for it and it compiled without
complaints.

I checked my /usr/src/linux-2.4.17/arch/i386/boot directory and copied
the bzImage file into my /boot directory as vmlinuz-2.4.17
I added a three lines to my GRUB config:

title Rubicon Linux (2.4.17)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.17 ro ro=/dev/hda2

I booted and it hung, saying that it couldn't find an initrd image.
I checked my previous config and added this line to my config:

    initrd /initrd-2.4.7-10.img

I couldn't find the new init image that had come with my latest kernel,
so I hoped that the old one would suffice.

It booted, but now hang with this message:

I'm starting to suspect the SiS support that I removed.
Anyone?