Re: remote login

Thanks for you your question.  I was beginning to think that
all e-mail was shut down for the Holidays :-)

If you have access to ssh, then you can do this without
usernames and passwords, in which case, I guess perl would
be fine.

However, expect was written for this very purpose.  It is
The Right Tool for the Job.

I wrote code for a "booster" system that dynamically starts
a number of programs on remote systems.  I used C++ code
which includes a way to privately get a password and pass
it to an expect script.  It is at...

<http://cb0.cs.siu.edu/clusterb/boostercpp.html>

The expect script is revealed and explained at...

<http://cb0.cs.siu.edu/clusterb/boosterexp.html>

That said, I'm sure somebody now will explain how to do it
easier with perl  :-)

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 06:16:37PM -0600, frog@intertek.net wrote:
> I need to look for errors on a remote server,  I'd like to use a Perl
> script because that's what I'm trying to learn. Do I have to call an
> expect script to handle the login an d password prompts?

<http://cb0.cs.siu.edu> <chester@langin.com>