Re: looking for a solution...

this is just the type of solution i was looking for

:)

this coupled with traffic precedence(sp?) on the router should be quite nice

Casey

Linux, I haven't tried it) platforms, does most of what you asked for, is a
great NAT/Firewall/Multicast router, plus has a lifelong guaranteed no-rust
blade which will never, ever need re-sharpening.
> http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/
>
> You should have no problem configuring a box as a transparent router (ala
bridge) that will silently pass all packets from the network to the router,
while maintaining the stats you are looking for.  If you configure the box
with a web server, the IP Accounting package can export the stats into an
HTML format, based on a number of items, depending on how you gather your
stats within IPFilter.

> IP Accounting Package for Darren Reed's IP Filter
> http://www2.empnet.com/ipacct/
>
> You can also use IPFilter and IP Accounting in a for the same purposes in
a non-switched environment, if you are not interested in setting it up as a
firewall/router.

> >anyone have any ideas? doesnt have to be OSS or "Free", just needs to be
> >reliable
>
> As it happens, IPFilter is available only in source form.  It is
recommended  that it be compiled for each system it will be installed on.
Also, there is a support mailing list, on which there are some VERY
knowledgeable people.

http://shopnow.netscape.com/