Re: x-chat / identd

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 08:21:52AM -0600, Alan Wilson wrote:
> I thought I would try x-chat, but the servers keep giving me the error:
> 	looking up hostname
> 	checking ident
> 	found your hostname
> 	no ident response
> and then they disconnect.

Try an undernet or openprojects server.  They shouldn't do that.

> I started identd and checked with ps (it seems to use 4 or 5 pids ???).

You don't want to run identd.  Trust me.

Most likely you told the installer to turn on the firewalling stuff,
so you aren't allowing connections to the ident port.  This is a Good
Thing.

Oh, if you are getting a long delay before the "no ident response",
just do "ipchains -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 113 -j REJECT".