Re: sendmail

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 11:21:03PM -0500 or thereabouts, Bob T. Kat wrote:
> Casey Boone wrote:
> > my employer is forcing me to give myself a crash course in setting up a full
> > out linux server, but im having some trouble setting up sendmail
>
> one word "postfix", it is sooooooo much better of a mail server,
> especially in config terms.

Boy, I agree here.  I used to use sendmail, but with increasing
versions, it became very complicated to me.  Postfix is so much easier.

Postfix has its own oem version of sendmail that runs in the background,
so do not install the big sendmail program. This never has to be edited.
My total mail daemon is postfix, and fetchmail, and procmail... A local
or global fetchmailrc file will allow you to add as many pop, imap4, or
whatever accounts you want to get mail from.  One command gets all the
mail, routes the mail to any number of users, then procmail for sorting
to any number of mailboxes.  Setting up postfix is much easier, as
usually it comes ready to use.  I just make 1-3 changes in the
/etc/postfix/main.cf file and your done... (I define my dialup smpt
here) If you need intricate tweeking, the postfix mail group is
absolutely outstanding.  The author Weiste is on there all the time, as
well as many pros, and I have always received an in depth answer when I
needed it, very quickly..

I have used it on 3 distros.  Also, postfix has never been compromised.

--
Best regards,
Gary

Today's thought: With proper diet, rest, and exercise a healthy body
will last a lifetime.