Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:42:07 -0500
To: NLUG ListServ <nlug@linuxlists.org>
Subject: [nlug] Re: You got $20? (fwd)

* jeff [010723 19:46]:
> Well I finally recieved word from dell about the ram :(
>
> Dear Dell Customer,
>
> Thank you for choosing Dell for your recent software and accessories
> purchase.  We regret to inform you that a vendor error created erroneous
> price quotes for the Kingston memory product that you ordered, Dell part
> number blah.  The problem has since been corrected, but as a result we
> are unable to fulfill your order.  All orders that were affected by this
> issue have been cancelled, you will need to resubmit an order for any
> additional products that may have been placed during this time.
>
> If you have any questions or need further assistance you can contact our
> customer support team at us_online_accessories_support@dell.com
> <mailto:us_online_accessories_support@dell.com>.

So, lemme get this straight.

1 - you went to Dell's site
2 - on Dell's site they were offering RAM for sale
3 - you ordered it and the transaction was accepted
4 - you received an email from Dell that said the price
    was wrong and they're not going to honor the transaction.

If you want the RAM call them up and tell them they'd better ship it
or you'll be talking to attorneys about a class-action suit and the
press about false advertisement.  Don't resubmit the order (as it
resubmission could be considered acceptance of their refusal to honor
the earlier transaction).  They're breaking the law -- the kicker is
that it doesn't matter unless they think they're going to have to
account for it later -- by not honoring transactions they committed
to, no matter how negligent they were in supervising transactions.

The same law that binds your online agreement as a contract also binds
Dell, vendor error or no.

The bit about the vendor error is a red herring, btw.