Re: VA no longer in the hardware business

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> Lee Helpingstine said:
> > My, my.  What will SGI do for their crappy overpriced Linux PC servers?
>
> I don't think they were buying from VA.  The 1U that SGI sells (with
> IDE disks) is way cooler than anything VA sold the last time I looked.
> (Cheaper too.)

And according to recent benchmarks from Network Computing, an overpriced
piece of crap (the SGI that is).  They even stated they wanted to like the
box but it sucked so bad that could not write a good review.  (Apr 30,
2001).  However, they are white boxing their 1U's according to Network
Computing.  Where they did not say.

Having just come from the NCSA cluster conference, some of the NCSA guys
were taking bets as to when SGI was going to fold shop.  Other people (not
NCSA) were speculating about who would buy SGI.

My money is on AMD, if anything to do what SGI did to Cray... pillage the
technology and spin it back off.  AMD is about the only one that could use
SGI's technology, and given the slap in the face w/ Alpha, not a bad fit
(money also on Nvidia going for the OpenGL graphics stuff, if in fact it
might be of any value now).

Given that SGI apparently closed in the $1.02 range on Monday, it's just a
matter of time.

Sean...

--
A flute with no holes is not a flute.  A donut with no hole is a danish.
	--Chevy Chase, Caddyshack