initrd-[kernal#].img ???

I ask the other day about updating a kernal.  Tighe, I appreciate your
response ... truth is I had already tried to read the kernal-how-to on
two separate occasions ... I know I should ask more specific questions
than just "give me a short rundown on updating the kernal."

Truth is i don't think I have the spare brain power left to absorb the
dark are of kernal hacking ... all I want to do is update to the latest
RedHat kernal/errata for 7.0.

i did "rpm -ivh kernal_____.rpm" with the latest kernal from the SILUG
RedHat 7.0 errata.  I also did "rpm -ivh kernalBOOT_______.rpm" just
for good measure (though I'm not sure what this is) then I tried an rpm
-Uvh and also -F with some of the other kernal errata (though I got
mostly error messages about conflicts with my old kernal).

i then went to /etc/lilo.conf to add a section for my updated kernal
and I notice the following line in the section relating to my "old"
kernal:

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.16-22.img

what is the initrd-2.2.16-22.img file?

the man page for initrd defines this as the "boot loader initialized
RAM disk" but beyond that i must admit the man page has me a bit lost.

how do I get an initrd-2.2.17-14.img file? (the rpm for the kernal
didn't install one in /boot)

do I need an initrd-2.2.17-14.img?

what other steps should I take to update my kernal?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some guidance.  jburke.

=====