From: owner-silug-discuss@silug.org [mailto:owner-silug-discuss@silug.org]On Behalf Of Larry White
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 6:22 PM
To: silug-discuss@silug.org
Subject: RE: Let's see if I have this correct

Charlie,

Sendmail would make a great discussion. But before we get into an in-depth discussion on configuring that monster, discuss what it is, maybe preface with a discussion on how e-mail in gerneral works, e.g. MTAs, MUAs, MDAs, etc. Addres why would someone need/want sendmail. Do I need it? Those types of questions.

All I know about Sendmail is that it is pain in the koondingy and between Netscape and StarOffice I have all the E-mail I need. Therefore this becomes an important discuss and I'm glad you volunteered. Do you think you might have something ready for the next meeting?

Original Message dated 1/23/01, 11:44:47 AM

Author: "Brune, Charlie" <Charlie.Brune@anheuser-busch.com>

Re: RE: Let's see if I have this correct:

Larry,

I agree that it would be good to set up some topics for future meetings.

Here are some of the things I'd like to see:

   o Install demo -- we have some new members who might like to see it.  Heck, I would too!

   o GIMP -- beginner's level.  Anything you can show me will only help.

   o Firewalls -- Did I waste $150 on that Netgear router when I could have, perhaps, done it myself with an old 486?

   o Sendmail -- It's a monster.  (see below)

   o Handy commands that many folks, particularly beginners, might not know about.  (That would be a long list!)

   o Kylix -- rumored to (finally!) be released on January 31 in New York.  Let's demo it soon!

Okay... that said, I'd like to tackle the sendmail discussion.  I don't know everything about how to configure it, but I can present (with handouts!) what little I have learned.  My anticipation is that I can lead the discussion and that those "more in the know" will help out as we move along.  I believe that I can pose questions that others might find interesting/useful.

I'll bet lots of us can contribute.  For example, can someone tell me what on earth I'd want to do with Awk/Yacc/Lex ?????  You don't have to fill up an hour.  For example, talking about rsync, rsh, ssh, etc. for 20 minutes would do me a world of good.

In summary, my guess is that many of our rank know at least a little about many Linux topics that others would find useful.  Further, I think that, for many of us, it's a case of "we don't know what we don't know."  I take notes during the meeting and I'm always anxious to get home (40-mile drive!) and try something out that I learned.

(BTW... I like Steve's list, too!  Particularly the tequila part).

Thanks,

Charlie