Re: (hopefully simple) sendmail question

Maybe one of the Sendmail gurus can give you more advice....

Is your DNS set correctly?  (more info needed here)

Sendmail requires the DNS MX records to be correct.

Check www.sendmail.org, there are some good FAQ's there.

Tony

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Brune, Charlie wrote:

> I'm having problems with sendmail.
>
> I loaded RH Linux 6.2 to one of my machines.  Then I added a user called
> "Charlie" to the system.
>
> I decided to try the "mail" command.  For some reason, I am unable to "mail
> Charlie".  The mail command tells me:
> 	Charlie... User unknown
> 	/root/dead.letter... Saved message in /root/dead.letter
>
> It's the same for any other user I add to the system.
>
> The user Charlie can send mail to root.  But, if root tries to reply to it (via
> the "r" command), I get the same "user unknown" message as above.
>
> I tried "sendmail -bv Charlie" and it indicated that Charlie is an invalid user.
> Hey, I can take a hint!  8-)
>
> Do I need to put "Charlie" in a file to tell sendmail that he is a valid user?
>
> Thanks a heap,
> Charlie

Tony Zafiropoulos
CTiTEK, Inc.
Supporting Linux one system at a time
Ph:  314-726-5080 x101
Fax: 314-726-5085
Cel: 314-504-3974
tonyz@ctitek.com
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character
 give him power."
 -- Abraham Lincoln