RE: logging in as root via telnet

SSH rules.  You should set it up just for the challenge :D  However,
/etc/securetty is the file you want to edit.  Here's the manpage:

SECURETTY(5)        Linux Programmer's Manual        SECURETTY(5)

NAME
       securetty - file which lists ttys from which root can log in

DESCRIPTION
       /etc/securetty  is  used by login(1); the file contains the device
names of tty lines
       (one per line, without leading /dev/) on which root is allowed to
login.

FILES
       /etc/securetty

SEE ALSO
       login(1)

Linux

Here is the text of my /etc/securetty:

console
tty1
tty2
tty3
tty4
tty5
tty6

Try adding ttyp1 through ttyp10 or so.

Koree
Koree A. Smith  | Co-Administrator, ameth.org
koree@Ameth.org | http://www.koree.net/
koree@koree.net | Linux Rules!
NT < *IX        | I Corinthians 2:1-5

Nous pensons que Linux représente à terme une menace pour Windows.