Re: I need ideas please.

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Everett wrote:

> Gotta use dis stuff.  I have almost everything necessary to build a
> dedicated Linux Box just taking up room in a cardboard box in the basement.

Let me tell ya... come on over to my place and see the stuff currently
amassed.  I've got nearly 2 computer labs worth of Apple IIe's sitting in
my garage.

As long as you do not put the computer in the box (mobo, hd, ps all zip
tied to a copier paper box) you're one step ahead of the game (no, not
me. A guy I know).

> OK, now for my question.  What would be a good use for a Linux Box in the
> basement.  I need some good suggestions to justify the few more parts needed.

Sounds to me like you need more wire running thru your house, preferably
of the Cat5 variety.  That being said, I would setup a LRP or Freesco
router with that system.  Provided you have a real dsl modem (ethernet
out, not usb), use the box as a router.  Hook the dsl line up to the linux
router, hook both of your PC's to the linux box (hub would be ideal).

That is how I started (albiet with a full RH 5.0 distro), and now I have
more 486's than I could ever know what to do with.

I won't tell your wife as long as you do not tell mine... uh, wait a
minute, she already knows.

Sean...
.com is *so* 1999.  I'm putting all my money into .org stocks.
		--Bill Vander Heyden, Roofer.  The Onion.