Re: Re: Re: anyone else on here use beos at all? qnx?

the fastest availible single processor mac is a 500 g4

the slowest availible athlon i can get is 800 i believe (might be 850 now,
this isnt counting durons)

independant testing shows that the 500 g4 is about equal to an athlon
classic at 700-750 and an athlon tbird running at about 650-700 (which these
dont exist)

thats a middle range system running neck and neck against the top of the
line mac

the benchmark in question was written by a mac technician at a video card
company (he said which one time but i forgot).  he is predominately  pro mac
but conseeds that apple needs to have faster chips to stay competative.  a
1.2 ghz tbird athlon mops the floor with that 500 g4.  yes the altivec unit
on the g4 is extremely powerful.  unfortunately it has little application in
most computing tasks (altivec is more targetted towards embedded systems,
motorolla is a big embedded market player you know).  the topic of comparing
the speed of the g4 and g3 chips to the x86 offerings comes up quite a bit
on a webboard i frequent.  its the arstechnica.com webboard, in the
battlefront.  look for threads titled with ars test bench.  the results are
quite interesting really.  the g4 shines at FFT calculations (seti@home uses
fft), but data we gathered from this test bench seems to show fft being more
cache dependant than cpu dependant.

i might also add that when comparing to the p3, a 500 g4 is about even with
a 700-750 p3.

yes the dual 500 is formidable, but i can get a dual 866 p3 and oc it to
over 900 and destroy that dual 500 in just about any benchmark (even alot of
the photoshop filters that usually go in favor of the ppc side)

currently quake3 for mac is rather slow on framerate compared to a pc
(partially video card related, partially john carmack not being able to
optimize ppc assembly very well).  this should change when the new macos q3
binary is out (or it might have been released already, i havent kept track).
i would expect q3 to run slower on a dual 400 p2 when compared with a 466
g3.  the g3 has a higher IPC rating than the p2 and q3 doesnt really scale
to multiple cpu's (and photoshop's smp scalability on x86 is completely
horrid, but i hear ps6 fixes this situation)

so yes i say dead dog slow (it was in jest, although partially true
;}granted my machine is only a 600 athlon classic, it feels so slow compared
to all my friends with the 850+ mhz machines now)

> dead dog slow?? What system have you been using, I run a 466Mhz
> w/192MB of ram on a laptop and it stomps this dual 400Mhz Pentium in
> the ground.. Quake III on this mac laptop smokes that Intel...
> Besides I run LinuxPPC on my iMac 8-)

i am curious if you have tried darwin.  i havent quite figured out what to
think about darwin yet.

heh i think ill rant on photoshop now.

photoshop on win32 is the most horrid widely used port.  adobe's porting
engineers should be ashamed.  hardcoded dialog font colors but the
background colors to those dialogs arent hard coded?  a user space kludge VM
system? default install crippling the amount of memory the application will
let itself use?  settings dialogs that use a drop down listbox *and* tabs to
select pages?  photoshop screams out "mac port" to anyone who uses it on
win32.  its awful.
</rant>

Casey