Re: Certification

Mark said:
> I hire people for my company and we don't care about certifications (Linux
> or otherwise).  We care about your past experiences and how easy it might
> be for you to learn our system.

That's fine for you, but how about the people who aren't experts in
the field they are hiring people for?  I know that in an ideal world
$manager would have enough experience in $job to hire somebody
qualified, but, let's face it, this isn't an ideal world.  Not only is
$manager often not the slightest bit qualified, but often hiring is
done by some random HR person without a background in computers who
can only see years of experience and applicable certifications.

For a real-world example, let's say I needed to hire somebody who had
Cisco experience.  Well, I know a little about Cisco equipment, so I
could probably tell if a person's experience meant anything.
Unfortunately though, I don't know enough about Cisco equipment to
actually be able to judge whether a person *really* knew any more than
I do.  Some kind of Cisco certification would at least give me a tiny
bit of confidence...

(618)398-7320             | See web site for meeting details.