Re: fsck

> I've been running ext3 on the larger filesystems on the web server for
> a couple of months now.  It seems to be doing pretty well.  The only
> major problem is that currently *everything* is journalled, metadata
> *and* data.  (Usually you only want metadata journalling.)  That makes
> large writes significantly slower than on regular ext2.  A
> metadata-only journalling ext3 patch should be available sometime soon
> though...

Yes, metadata soon and the performance is very nice indeed.  Consider even
the thought of dropping the journal on nvram. :)

I just returned from the Linux Storage Workshop convention which went over
very well.  Alot of good discussion came out of it and I believe we'll be
seeing alot of the journal solutions, largefile support and logical volume
management (with online resizing, snapshotting) available not too far down
the road.

I believe the presentations will be available shortly via www.sistina.com
for those interesting in checking things out.

I'm still quite stoked about it all. :)