oops

when i sent this i sent it to the wrong addy the first time .... the mailing
list needs to have a proper reply to field in the messages it sends out

> I've had X 4.0 running on Linux 2.2.14 for a few months now, and it's been
> quite stable.  It's significantly faster than 3.3.x, even unaccelerated.
> dropped in NVIDIA's accelerated driver for my TNT as well, and now it's
> really fast.

it wouldnt take much to be faster than 3.3.x ;}

4.x is the first respectable version imo

> Can't help you on KDE or GNOME...I fought with GNOME so much at work I
> didn't want to spoil my home machine with it (probably just doesn't like
> window managers other than E).  I use AfterStep window manager with X 4.0.
>  I like the look and feel, but it's quite rough around the edges.  I
> understand WindowMaker is light, fast, and smooth, but I just got too used
> to a real pager to put up with the WM "desktop manager" paperclip.

im wanting to say that gnome now uses the sawmill window manager (or
sawtooth or something like that)

> If you use GNOME, you'd probably best stick with Enlightenment.  I simply
> couldn't make GNOME start a different window manager.  I can make it not
>  start /any/ window manager, but that's as far as I could get.  At least
in
> the version I have, GNOME seems a bit dependant on E.
>
> Hey, does this mean we get to start a window manager holy war here now? ;)

heh why not ;}

on another note there is a desktop environment/window manager that supports
gnome plugins and kde plugins but i have completely forgotten what it was.
any ideas anyone?

"Talkie's the name, toastings the game, would anybody like any toast?"