Re: some ideas...

Actually this brings up something else we've been shooting around... We're
thinking of pushing the organization of SILUG as an umbrella group. Have
various groups in the Southern half of the state participate in SILUG as a
whole. Coordinate our meetings so that they don't overlap. Share
resources, content, speakers, ideas, etc so that we can make our groups
grow. Coordinate events, etc together to help socialize with Linux users
outside of your 12 mile radius...

How active is your Salem group? How many are interested in becoming more
active in the Carbondale group? Our goal is to make meetings completely
totally regular again, come hell or high water. (Ok, if water's too high,
frozen or liquid form, we might cancel a meeting) If this means to glob
our groups back together for a time, and split again as we have interest,
that's ok.

There's another group here in Fairview Heights (one hour west of Mt
Vernon). They've been working off and on for years to get active. We've
talked to them about being SILUG-W(est) and there's been interest. I'm
interested in going to the other side of the state, and maybe doing
SILUG-E. There's all sorts of things we could do here :) Sharing resources
is such an easy thing to do, and makes life so much better for all our
LUGgers :)

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Alan Wilson wrote:

> If the SIU bunch doesn't provide the strong support that was anticipated when
> the meeting were moved to campus, I would be nice for the Salem bunch if the
> meetings were moved back to John A. Logan (or even Rend Lake -- yea, I know I
> am dreaming here <grin>)
>
> Alan
>

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Steven Pritchard wrote:
>

> > With all due respect to Rich, I'm thinking it would probably be a good
> > idea for me to take over handling meetings and such, for at least a
> > little while, in order to get things stabilized a bit.  If anyone
> > objects, please say so.
> >
> > The number one thing that I'd like to see is a fixed meeting day/time
> > again.  Right now, I think the first Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of
> > each month would work best.  (At least one person has already told me
> > that Monday is a bad day in general.)  Comments?
> >
> > The second thing I'd like to do is modernize the web site.  Other than
> > a few graphics, it is essentially the same web site that I developed
> > in late '94 or early '95.  That can't be good.  :-)  I've been doing a
> > lot of work on the LUCI web site lately...  If any of you who are
> > interested could take a look at it and let me know what you think, I'd
> > appreciate it.  If it looks good to everyone, I'd like to do something
> > very similar for SILUG.
> >
> > I'd also like to get everyone thinking about doing a Linux Demo Day
> > sort of thing again after classes start back up.  Historically, we've
> > done this sort of thing at 710 Bookstore.  Is there a better place
> > now?
> >
> > That's all I've got for the moment...  :-)
> >
> > Steve
> > --
> > steve@silug.org           | Linux Users of Central Illinois
> > (618)398-7320             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month
> > Steven Pritchard          | http://www.luci.org/ for more info
> >
> > --

- Kara

Kara Pritchard, RHCE                    Phone: 618-398-7360
Linux Users of Central Illinois	        kara@luci.org
Asst Dir for Program Development        kara@lpi.org
Author, RHCE Exam Cram                  kara@linux.com