Re: Tonight LIVE: Farewell Arne >> on The Linux(r) Show!! (fwd)

OK, I've been meaning to reply to this for a while now...

KoReE said:
> Doesn't it kinda strike you as funny that "The Linux Show" would send its
> email using Outlook Express?

<rant>
I hate to put Jeff down (he's a nice guy), but it's not funny, it's
sad, maybe even just *wrong*.  Linux people need to learn to practice
what they preach.  In my opinion, that means using Linux even if it
isn't always convenient.  If Linux (or, more specifically, Linux apps)
sucks for a job, then write something that doesn't suck.  If you can't
program, learn to.  ;-)  If that's not an option, post to a newsgroup
or mailing list or something, and let people know that Linux isn't
doing what you need.  (Search a bit at http://www.google.com/linux
first to make sure the problem really hasn't been solved before.)
"I'll just run Windows" is *not* the right answer.

I've been using Linux as my *only* desktop OS at home for at least 4
years now.  It's been my primary desktop OS for more like 6 years.  I
use it for email (that was my original reason for running Linux,
actually), web browsing, playing games, word processing, programming,
you name it.  I have a really hard time believing people when they
tell me that they can't get everything done under Linux.

Again, I hate to single Jeff out here, but he made a convenient
target...  :-)

Oh, BTW, if for some reason you have someone at work that doesn't want
you to run Linux, politely convince them that they need to get a grip.
Depending on who you believe, Linux is either the most or the second
most popular non-M$ operating system.  In some applications, like web
servers, it is more popular than *any* other operating system.  If
that doesn't work, I politely recommend that you get a different job,
since obviously someone at your current place of employment has their
head so far up their ass that they can't see sunlight.
</rant>

I should mention that I'm not the first one to notice this...  From
the March 2000 Netcraft (http://www.netcraft.com/) report:

   On a related note, it's notable that the Linux evangelism bandwagon is
   bringing in people more prepared to envangelise the operating system
   than run it themselves. At the last Linux Expo in London, more of the
   exhibitor companies were running Microsoft-IIS than Linux on their own
   sites. Recently queried sites on our server query form include;
   [21]linux.ora.com which runs Solaris, while [22]linuxbeacon.com is an
   early adopter of Windows 2000 along with the shortlived
   [23]www.linuxanswers.co.uk and the parody domain names
   [24]www.slashdot.org.uk and [25]www.freshmeat.org. However, contrary
   to what one might expect, [26]www.linuxsucks.org runs Linux.