FIPS Memory Allocation Error

Still trying to install...

Recent background...

I read about using the Disk Druid to repartition my existing hard drive (19
gig) for both Windows and Linux.  However, it said it would not have any
partitions over 2 gigs.  Since I was already using over 3 gigs for Windows,
I didn't want to do that.

So...went out and bought a new hard drive to put Linux on.  Took the cover
off for the first time and realized I only had one empty bay.  Didn't
really want to waste that on another hard drive and heard about FIPS.

So...returned unopened hard drive to store.  Used scandisk (four hours),
prepared FIPS boot disk, and used defrag (just an hour or so more).

Current problem...

When I rebooted with prepared FIPS disk, I got the following error message:
 "Memory allocation error.  Cannot load COMMAND, system halted."  Am using
Compaq Presario 5284 less than one year old.  I got a screen message saying
the Windows was being loaded, but then got the A: prompt.

I have a Compaq boot disk which I may be able to put the FIPS stuff on and
use.  I guess I could try restarting from Windows in DOS mode and then
running FIPS.  Any ideas?

--Chester Langin