Re: qmail

Matthew Walker said:
> What is the general feeling about qmail... is it better than sendmail?

"Better" is so subjective...

I don't doubt for a minute that qmail has a better design than
sendmail, since sendmail kind of just "happened" the way it is.  That
said, I personally don't use qmail for two reasons...  First, I know
sendmail, and I don't have the time or inclination to learn something
different.  Second, I don't care for Dan Bernstein (the author).
(Email me privately if you want to know why.  :)

If I were going to go to the trouble of switching mail programs, I'd
probably switch to Postfix, since it at least vaguely attempts to be
compatible with sendmail.  If you don't know sendmail, then I suppose
there's no good reason (other than perhaps the licensing on qmail) not
to give qmail a try.

(BTW, if you are *really* security-sensitive, and you worry about the
security of sendmail, I'd recommend finding the patch that lets it
bind to port 25 as a non-root user, plus compile it with StackGuard.
Those two should eliminate the vast majority of security issues.)

(618)398-7320             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month