Re: Linux & Net Cam's

I assume you are talking about webcams.  Well, here is the skinny of what
I learned a little over 6mos ago, hopefully the situation has changed for
the better.
	I got a connectix quickcam with the parallel port interface
that was supported by patrick's quickcam software for linux.
Unfortunately, linux moves faster than patrick does as I could not get it
to compile due to problems between his softwares (libc), and the current
state of linux at the time glibc.  It was fustrating.  What I ended up
doing was setting up a windows box (486 sx25 w/ 12 megs... the cam was
it's only job) and saving via samba to my webserver.

None of the current connectix offerings are supported by linux the last
time I checked.  Most of the reason is because connectix has moved to usb.

Patricks site listed the panasonic egg cam as being fairly linux friendly,
unfortunately I dont have his site off hand.  You can probably do a google
search on quickcam patrick linux and come back with some results.  Last I
checked it was a .edu address, or having some references to being in
college.

I spent several nights trying to get this worked out, and as I recall a
flame war broke out :O -ahhh!    Needless to say research before you
buy... better yet, see if the program compiles before you buy.

For the record, I have successfully setup webcams that utilized netatalk
and samba... either or works fine.

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, David A. Glass wrote:

> Has anyone used a netcam with linux?? If so I am in the morket for one,
> can someone give me a "best brand" & some software ideas??

Sean...

Everything you know is wrong,
Just forget the words and sing along.    --Weird Al