Re: kppp?

Thomas Jay Cralley said:
> I am having trouble getting my modem to work with kppp. When I use the
> setup and query the modem, there are no responses. When I try to dial,
> it stick on "initializing the modem". Does anyone have any ideas I could
> try? The modem is a Diamond Supra Express 28.8. I am using redhat 6.1
> with the KDE environment.

If I'm not mistaken, that's a Plug & Pr^Hlay modem, which means you'll
probably have to do a bit of manual configuration to get it to work.
(Red Hat 6.1 is supposed to handle some of that for you, but I haven't
actually tested it to see if it really works.)

You should be able to just run "pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf", then edit
/etc/isapnp.conf appropriately.  (The comments in the file should make
it obvious.)  After you're done, you can run "isapnp
/etc/isapnp.conf", or just reboot.  (Just be careful...  If you've
configured any other PnP devices, you don't want to just overwrite
/etc/isapnp.conf.  If there is one there, you can probably just edit
it.)

When you're all done with that, make sure that the /dev/modem symlink
points to the right device.  (You can run "setup" to get to a modem
configuration tool, which will set the link for you.)

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month