Re: Red Hat

At one time, SuSE either had contracts or had developers specifically to
develop video drivers for certain cards.  If memory serves right, they
would release their drivers with their latest distro, and then after a
certain period of time other distros could use them.  I dont know if this
is still the case, but it may explain why there is better video support w/
SuSE.

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Kara Pritchard wrote:

> Doesn't SuSE 6.2 have a later kernel than RH6.0? Remember that video
> support, etc is not determined by what distro you use, but what kernel
> version, XFree version, etc it is packaged with. If SuSE 6.2 came out just
> weeks after RH 6.0, chances are it will have newer drivers etc. Also, RH's
> goals are not to be the latest and greatest, but a stable (yeah, I know go
> ahead and laugh) base, using the latest "stable" kernel and drivers, etc.
>
> Your video card is new, and I'll be anything if you d/l'd the new version
> of XFree with RH 6.0, you'd be a happy camper..
>
> - Kara

Sean...

Everything you know is wrong,
Just forget the words and sing along.    --Weird Al