RPM [user] TRUBBLE

I just loaded up RH 6.0 so I in rebuilding my whole system.
When I saw that RH had a copy of Applixware, I loaded it.
It didn't work [couldn't update some lib or something] maybe
do to the alpha X server I'm using for my Voodoo 3 card(?)

Anyway, I figured I'd just install my old copy which worked
under Caldera.  I installed it but it wouldn't run.  Then I
thought - oops, I should've removed the old Applixware before
installing this one.  So I ran 'rm * -rf' on the applix dir
and tried to rpm again.  I know!  I know!  I made a lot of
mistakes here.  As you might already know... it won't let me
re-install "axbase is already installed" or un-install "axbase
package not installed."

Q: Is there a way out of this mess without re-installing?