Secure Port Redirection with Ssh

For those of you who are security minded (paranoid may be a better term),
here's a quickie for setting up a secure connection to a server to access
services that aren't secure (typically).  In this case, I will demonstrate
IMAP.

I wanted to access my IMAP mailbox on mail securely.  The remote machine
must be running sshd, and the local machine must have the ssh client.

1. On the local machine, login as root.
	The reason for this is because IMAP is on port 143 which is
restricted, and it is easier than having to configure what ever IMAP
client to look on a different port.

2. Execute: ssh -C -l <REMOTEUSERNAME> -f mail -L 143:mail:143 sleep 100000
	where <REMOTEUSERNAME> is your username on mail
	When prompted, type in password for <REMOTEUSERNAME>.
	-C = compression
	-f = fork to background when finished authenticating
	-L = connect localport:remotehost:remoteport

3. To test: telnet localhost 143
	You should see a greeting message from the IMAP server on the
	remote host.

4. To use: Reconfigure your IMAP client to point to the local machine and
it should work as normal, but now the information is encrypted over the
network.

Anyone know if I can do something like this on a Windows box?