lpd

Here's a shot in the dark.  I'm trying to print a generic regular text
file.  I start lpd up and it complains about permissions on /dev/console
as well as /dev/lp not existing.  It doesn't and it doesn't need to exist
because I'm not using a printer attached to my machine.

Here's my printcap file if that will help.

hp|Remote Printer1|lp:\ # this line can be anything you want
        :lp=:sd=/var/spool/lpd:rm=printserver1.tct-net.org:\
        :rp=L1:\ # L1 for LPT1, L2 for LPT2, L3 for LPT3
        :mx#0:

Anyone ever try this and actually have it work?