recompile module problems

I just recompiled the kernel and for some reason I can't get the modules to load... I moved the old modules to a .old directory in /lib/modules and did the usual "make dep && make clean && make zImage && make modules && make modules_install" cp'd the kernel, edit lilo.conf, edited it, rebooted.... depmod -a gets run in one of the startup scripts

it complains loudly about the versions of the modules don't match the running kernel.  I checked all of the boxes in the section dealing with modules

Any ideas what is wrong?