Re: Membership Dues

> 	I am hereby opening the floor for discussion on whether we
> should even bother collecting dues?

That was a big topic of discussion between the two "Running a Linux Users
Group" BoF sessions we held at NC's Linux Expo in May, as well as the
Atlanta Linux Showcase. It's also been a point of discussion on the LUG
support mailing lists.

I observed this.  The more formal *any* users group, the less successful
in size and publicity it is.  Spending all your time messing with meeting
minutes, dues, rules, etc. takes that much time away from the purpose of a
LUG.

Requiring dues poses the problem that many new users, or young users, or
even tight budgeted users become unable to participate.

Making dues an option can somtimes make those who do give warm fuzzies,
but those who don't/can't guilty conscious, thus they don't come to the
meetings.

I really don't like the concept of "dues".  In retrospect I prefer
"donations".  Every member of a LUG receives the same benefits regardless
of dues paid.  Accepting random "dues" insists that due paying members
should receive special benefits.  We all pay our dues, some of us in
money, some in hardware, some in time, and the rest in car wear/tear and
carpal tunnel to participate in the meetings and this mailing list!

I think there are more simpler ways to recover expenses for the LUGs
without getting into legalities of "dues".  Selling media (e.g. the $1.99
from cheapbytes but make them yourself) during meetings and/or
installfests, these little "embossed linux plates" that I'm getting will
be a big hit at our installfests and such, at meetings you can order a
pizza which attendees can reimburse + per slice.  Just use your
imagination.  Over the past (year?) we have been collecting hardware and
donations from participants in the LUGs toward the new server and domains
and such.  These have been a great help, since the costs for all such
things would otherwise (and still did some) come out of my pocket.  These
types of donations have seemed to be much more fruitful.

I don't think simply paying dues makes anyone a member, anyhow.  It's time
and attendance, something that is much more valuable (and extrememly hard
to come by), that makes a difference in the LUGs and the Linux Community
At Large.

<step down from soapbox>

Don't get me wrong.  A steady flow of resources of all kinds are required
to run a group.  Unfortunately, $$ doesn't grow on trees.  With this in
mind, to all of you who have privately (and publically) provided resources
to your local LUG, hats off to you!  It's your generosity and support that
sometimes gets overlooked and forgotten, that makes it all possible.

<fall off of soapbox>

Kara Pritchard
kara@luci.org