Re: Packet Loss?

>>>>> "KoReE" == KoReE  <koree@squishy.ameth.org> writes:

    KoReE> Anyone know anything about some large amounts of packet
    KoReE> loss?  I checked out netstat.net, and I'm seeing 20% losses
    KoReE> to some backbones.  Also, I can't even pull up slashdot!!
    KoReE> Anyone know the source of the troubles?  Any major fibers
    KoReE> cut?

Aside from a routing loop verio.net has and the fact that SprintLink
sucks ass, I don't see any problems. This comes from traceroutes to
any number of places (www.debian.org, www.internet.org,
debian.crosslink.net, ns2.cnsnet.net, and archie.au), which came off
without a hitch.

As far as netstat.net is concerned, I see 4% average packet loss
tending toward 10% on the sucky carriers and 2-ish% on the better ones
(UU-net, etc).

So I don't know. Just because you can reach Slashdot doesn't mean a
major line went down. Also, even if a major line *did* go down, TCP/IP
is smart enough to compensate. Certainly, it would be slow, but you
shouldn't lose too many packets, and you would certainly be able to
get to your host.

Chris

--
Chris Tessone         tessone@fnal.gov         tessone@imsa.edu
PH/sendmail SNPC        System Administration        Perl/Shell