Re: Help Partition problem?

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Lokesh Babu M wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>         I am in a strange problem, Hope you will help me?,
>
> I bought a new PC, with 4.2GB HDD, I DOS partitioned the disk into two
> drives, ie into C and D drives, 2GB each.Then I loaded W95, SR2 with
> FAT32,msoffice..etc on C, (D is also FAT32), Now I wanted to install linux,
> I tried using FIPS on C, So that I can make some space for Linux,

Make sure you are using the FAT32 capable FIPS.  There is a patch out
there for it to do that but the reg FIPS can't handle FAT32.

>    But FIPS didnt run, gave an error that my system no of C of  HDD is not
> valid. Its telling that it should be 4 or 6, but mine is showing as "0Bh"?

Looks like you don't have the patch.

> Now am Thinking that, since my D drive is emty , I will zip the whole C
> drives content into a single file (*.zip), It will around 600MB,
> Then I will move that zip file into my D drive.
>
> Then I will run the FDISK to partition the C drive into two, ie One for my
> W95 and other  for linux ,
> (I think this will erase data on C drive , and D drive remains unaffected?)

FIPS can move the data without you having to zip it up but first you need
to get the FAT32 capapble FIPS.  Go to your favorite search engine and put
in +FIPS +FAT32 or something like that.

> Then I will install the linux, If everything goes fine , I will copy the ZIP
> file from D drive to the DOS partition of the C drive then I restore the
> Windows.

I've never seen this work without breaking a few things.