Re: Apache and Frontpage

KoReE said:
> I'm wanting to put one of our virtual domains on our Linux web server.
> They require that we have frontpage extensions loaded.  I have a
> mod_frontpage.c from microsoft's site for apache, but I don't know exactly
> how to go about installing it.  Any ideas?

DON'T DO IT!!!@!%@#%!$@#

The FrontPage extensions have been the subject of *many* Bugtraq
posts.  Basically, Microsoft (and the people they contract for Unix
work) wouldn't know secure code if it bit them on the ass.  (See

    http://www.worldgate.com/~marcs/fp/

for an analysis of some of the older vulnerabilities by one of the
Apache developers.  Take a look through the BugTraq archives for lots
of other fun holes.)

If you can't convince the client that FrontPage is stupid (and I can
give you all sorts of ammo, if you'd like), then just use an NT box.
That way when somebody hacks into it, you only lose that client's
site.

BTW, for those of you trying to convince people to move away from IIS,
I noticed that there is a mod_perl module that implements ASP for
Apache/mod_perl.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month