Re: Web Mail?

Mike Connor said:
> On Mon, 18 May 1998, Richard H. Fifarek wrote:
> > 	I've noticed that a lot of companies are offering free web-based
> > email (i.e. Qualcomm, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc).  Are there any
> > Linux/Solaris/NT (blech, but a step in the right direction) servers (open
> > source or commercial) that one could setup to do this sort of web based
> > email?
> I haven't heard of one, but it sounds like you could make one for light
> usage with perl pretty easily.  I guess you just read & delete mail, and
> send stuff off to sendmail-- sounds like the only part where you'd kinda
> have to pay attention is with permissions.

I was thinking...  You could probably use apache's suexec, but there's
an even easier way.  Just have some server-side scripts that do IMAP
to the mail server.  Then permissions become irrelevant.  You just
have to make sure that every connection passes the username/password
or some (authenticated) cookie.  This would probably be easiest over
SSL...

Of course, an even simpler route (from the provider's end) would be to
ship the user a java applet that did IMAP.  :-)

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month