Re: Sun Ultra 5

Make sure that price includes (seriously): an OS (Solaris 2.6), hard
drives, RAM, keyboard, mouse.  It comes with ethernet built in.  Just an
Ultra 1 with 192 MB RAM & two 2gig hard drives, and monitor cost SIU 8k
about 8 months ago.  The thing to keep in mind (unless they're changing) is
*everything* besides *just the box&motherboard* is an option.  $2600 would
be phenominal for a complete Ultra 5 System (I only knew of Ultra 2's as
the highest)-- are you sure it isn't just a Sparc 5?  That price would be
about right then (*complete system); maybe bid'em down to 2k (it's not a
young system).

Software: Yep it'll run practically all GNU, and you'll typically find a
lot of GNU utils & programs on a Sun system.  I'm used to Wabi for Windows
Emu, Softwindows works okay on a Mac I know (I do know Softwindows is out
for Solaris). Wabi seems to run Windows apps as reliably as a Windows box--
Softwindows is probably as good or better.  Since this is probably a Sparc
5 (equiv to about a Pentium 90), expect Windows emu to be about 486-33
performance (slow).

Hope that helps.