Re: X problem (was Re: ZDNet Article)

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> On a side note, am I the only person who can't stand Red Hat's
> Xconfigurator?  XFree's XF86Setup and xf86config always worked better
> for me, but Red Hat has continued to push their broken crap on
> everybody yet again...  (Believe it or not, I'm actually getting to
> the point that I like Red Hat.  The number of things that piss me off
> about it is dropping all the time.  Besides, I'm working on rpms of
> everything broken/missing in the distribution...  :)

Xconfigurator sux :D  I'm actually starting to get kinda ticked at
redhat's X system in general.  I've tweaked mine to where I like it, but I
don't know if I should have to do that.  A problem I've noticed with
redhat's X stuff, is that any time you open any of the "control-panel"
programs, eventually, your windows start losing functionality.  I dunno if
this is a tk/gtk problem, or an fvwm problem, but it really sux :D  It's
happened on every redhat machine I've ever installed.  Also, it makes ya
lose your click to focus.  I'm thinking this is an fvwm problem, because
it doesn't happen when I run Windowmaker (which, by the way RULES!
Thanks, Mark!).  I'm really thinking of just going balls to the wall and
writing my own set of X tools for managing the system.  Something to set
background colors/pics graphically, possibly a graphical res manager.  I
like graphical config tools, but I hate it when they suck (ie, Microsoft).
Okay, enough ranting.  Xconfigurator does suck, but redhat's come a long
way :D

Koree

    |Koree A. Smith               |
    |Co-Administrator, Ameth.org  |