Re: Modules

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Mark Bishop wrote:

> Subject: Re: Modules
>
> A kernel module? Yes you have to recompile your kernel.  If you move the
> print services to a module you need to tell the current kernel to no
> longer treat the printing services statically.
>
> If you mean a non-kernel module then no, you don't need to recompile the
> kernel.

	(probably should have mentioned this in the first note)
	What prompted the question was that I was asked to setup a test
dialin for our office (our Xyplex isn't reliable).  So I grabbed a
external modem laying around, read the HOWTO, and then was faced with
adding PPP to the kernel.  It turns out that I had to recompile anyway,
because in order to do dialin access, you need IP Forwarding, etc.  But I
still wondered if you could safely do something like that.  I assumed you
could, but just making sure.  (This machine is a 486-33, so recompiling is
time consuming)
	Thanks for the responses.