Re: GIMP

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> Koree A. Smith said:
> [...]
> > Have you used GIMP extensively?  Would you say it
> > competes with Adobe Photoshop?
>
> No, and I have no clue.  :-)  I'm not much (read: very damn little) of
> a graphics person, as should be evident from any of the web sites I
> maintain.  ;-)
>
> Now that you have it working, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts
> on the matter...

Well, it's clunky at best.  It can read Photoshop documents, but it won't
honor Photoshop layers and whatnot.  It opens it as a flat image.  It has some
small quirks that annoy me to some extent.  One being the "marching ants"
outline of a selection doesn't show.  In fact, no outline of a selection shows
:D  Only in certain instances, which show no pattern, does the outline show.
This is as of v0.99.17.  v0.99.18 just came out on the 26th, and I have yet to
install it.  The version that comes with Redhat 5.0 is 0.99.12.  0.99.18 is
based on a new version of it's toolkit called gtk+-0.99.3.  Besides some of
its quirky behavior, it is one of the most robust X apps for Linux I have ever
seen (next to Netscape).  It has the potential to rival Photoshop, actually.
I'm just waiting for 1.0.  I realize it's in beta, so, I can't expect much.
It's a very nice little app, and I urge even the graphics-impaired to try it
out :D

> (BTW, better late than never for a response, right? :)

Depends on who ya talk to :D  For me, it's fine :D  I know how life is :D

Koree A. Smith
--
Development Programmer, CMAC, Inc.
koree@accessus.net