From: Steven Pritchard <steve@silug.org>
Subject: LUCI: Tuesday, Jan. 27 meeting
To: luci-announce@luci.org
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 21:24:31 -0600 (CST)

This is just a reminder that the next meeting of the Linux Users of
Central Illinois is tomorrow, Tuesday, January 27, at 7 pm.  See the
web site at

    http://www.luci.org/

for location and directions.

We've got quite a few things to talk about at tomorrow's meeting.
First of all, last week Netscape dropped a bombshell on the free
software community (and everyone else, I suppose) by announcing that
Navigator and Communicator would not only be free to use, but that
they would be releasing source starting with Communicator 5 under some
kind of GPL-ish license.  According to their press release, "The
company will handle free source distribution with a license which
allows source code modification and redistribution and provides for
free availability of source code versions, building on the heritage of
the GNU Public License (GPL)."  One of the Netscape developers said
"Netscape hopes to act as the 'Linus' in this project, and we hope
to do it well."  Believe it or not, there's more to the story...
We'll discuss it at the meeting.

(For more information, see Netscape's press release at

http://home.netscape.com/newsref/pr/newsrelease558.html?cp=nws01flh4

and also their newsgroup at

snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.dev.client-source-code.general

This URL requires a NNTP-over-SSL-capable (or is it SSL-over-NNTP?)
browser, i.e. Netscape's.)

O'Reilly & Associates sent me a copy of their Perl Resource Kit to
take a look at.  I'll be bringing it in with me so everyone can browse
through it.  I'll also let everyone know what I think of it so far...
(One additional note:  Email me if you are interested in buying the
PRK.  O'Reilly is offering members of the group a 25% discount, but
you'll need to know the ordering code.)

We've also got more copies of Linux Journal and _Effective Awk
Programming_ from SSC to give away, so bring all your friends.  :-)

Final note:  If the 4th Tuesday of the month is (or isn't) a
reasonable time for us to meet, let me know.  If I don't hear anything
negative, we'll make that our official meeting time, at least for a
while.

See you there.  :-)

(217)698-1694             | Watch this space for meeting day & time