Install RH5.0 scsi problems???

Last night I attempted to install RH5.0 (official) on my 486DX33: 16 meg, 400
meg ide drive; 1 gig scsi drive attached to adaptec aha1542; System Commander
used to boot. (drive is id0, cdrom is id1)

I fdisked to scsi drive to remove all partitions, used the Druid in RH install
to create Linux root and Linux swap, followed the prompts.....; asked Lilo to
install on the boot partition thinking that System Commander would boot it
just fine as it does on my other machine and did for the old Slackware I
erased. WRONG!  [BTW, the last cycle was repeated three times :-( ]

I did manage to use the two disks that came with the RH5.0 distribution as a
'rescue' disk: mknod /dev/sda1 b 8 1 and mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1/mnt did mount
the filesystem and it seemed to be intact. It seems that the 'rescue' system
sends stuff to the other consoles.  I find messages like
		probing for scsi devices
		found no scsi devices
		uncompressing module for installation
		running /bin/insmod /bin/insmod /tmp/aha1542.o

I am probably missing something, but it appears that the aha1542 support is
modular which raises the question of how can the kernel find the boot
partition on a scsi drive to load the module so it can find the scsi drive.

Any suggestions on how to boot this Linux system would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Alan