Re: Transferring contents /home to new partition

Sure it will.  The first thing you'll want to do is to mount the new partition
on your existing system in somewhere that won't be critical.  Somewhere like
/mnt/tmp or something.  You'd do this using the mount command:

mount /dev/hdb3 /mnt/tmp -t ext2

Then, you'd want to copy your /home contents over.  From the /home dir, you'd
want to type:

cp -a * /mnt/tmp

after this was done, you'd want to move your old home stuff somewhere else, or
delete it (moving is just to make sure ya have a backup of it).  Then, you'd
configure your system to mount /dev/hdb3 on /home (this is the beauty of VFS
or Virtual File System).  This information is stored in /etc/fstab and
/etc/mtab.  Take a look at those files.  It's pretty self explanatory.  Here's
an example of my /etc/mtab file.

dev/hda1 / ext2 rw 1 1
/dev/hdb1 /users ext2 rw 1 1
/dev/hdb2 /dump ext2 rw 1 1
none /proc proc rw 1 1

Here's my fstab file:

/dev/hda2       swap        swap        defaults   1   1
/dev/hda3       swap        swap        defaults   1   1
/dev/hda1       /        ext2        defaults   1   1
/dev/hdb1       /users   ext2        defaults   1   1
/dev/hdb2       /dump    ext2        defaults   1   1
none        /proc        proc        defaults   1   1

Hope this helps some....

Koree

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997 tskinner@globaleyes.net wrote:

> You missed the mark, my friend, in the interpretation. Basically, I fully
> understand how to copy the contents of one directory to another, my
> question revolves around transferring (physically) the contents of /home
> from /dev/hdb2 to /dev/hdb3. The 'cp' command will not aid me in this
> transition.
>
> 											Tony
>
> At 11:31 PM 11/18/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >

> >cp -a <olddir> <newdir>
> >is one way of many
> >

> >On Tue, 18 Nov 1997 tskinner@globaleyes.net wrote:
> >

> >> 	I have installed linux onto to a single partition (yes I know, a major
> >> no-no). Anyways, I am wanting to add more space to linux system by simply
> >> repartitioning my working dos partition into 2 parts. I was wondering how I
> >> can take the newly gained partition and transfer the contents of /home from
> >> the original linux partition to my newly formed partition? The reason I ask
> >> this question is because Linux (or Unix in general) interprets multiple
> >> partitions as one fixed disk (at least from the standpoint of typing 'ls'
> >> from the root directory). Any ideas, hints or tips would be greatly
> >> appreciated!
> >>
> >> 								Tony
> >>

> >> --

Koree A. Smith